Sunday, October 18, 2015

A Vintage Farmhouse Fall Vignette

I'm so excited y'all!!  Tomorrow I'll be taking off for a few days of R&R in beautiful Pigeon Forge, TN!  I can't wait!  My mom and her sisters get together every year for a few days for a Sister's Retreat, and this year they rented a snug little cabin for 3.5 days.  I invited myself along.  : )  The kiddos are spending the week with my husband's parents, Hubby is fending for himself, and I am SO looking forward to a few days without responsibilities.  And nice chilly weather.  And hopefully some beautiful fall foliage.  And maybe even some hot chocolate.

But....I didn't want to leave you hanging for the whole week without something from me, SO....to make your life feel complete I'm treating you to some fall decor pics while I'm away.  : )


Today we'll be focusing on this little corner of the living room in between the two couches.


I've created a cozy little vignette on top of my crate I rescued from the curb.


I replaced the cheery and colorful red and yellow lamp with a black one.  Black pairs so nicely with fall colors and helps tone them down a bit so your eye doesn't get overwhelmed.  It gives your eye a place to rest so to speak.


Typically with vignettes you always want to work with odd numbers.  Things always look better grouped in 3's or 5's and so on.  Evenly paired groups never look quite right.  When I first started putting this little grouping together I didn't have the old mirror underneath and it didn't look right because the lamp made the 4th item.  I liked the grouping though, and didn't want to get rid of anything.  So, by placing the mirror underneath the other items it gives them their own boundary and the lamp is no longer part of the grouping.  The eye sees it as a separate thing.


I love how the mirror takes the place of a tray that you would usually see used in this sort of a display.


For the other items in the group, I placed some faux bittersweet in a thrifted pitcher that's sitting on top of a an old book with its cover removed.  I also added a vintage Bingo card under there for added interest.  Even though technically the book and the pitcher are two items, because they're stacked together they become one in the vignette. 

There's also a little chicken wire basket I found in the craft section at Walmart.  I added a candle and some hickory nuts to it.  I love using real gourds in my decorating and this little splotchy one with its curvy stem was just perfect here.  They make for an added expense each year, this is true, BUT at the end of the season they're ready to be pitched and I don't have to take up valuable storage space finding a place to keep them.


Tucked in the back there is my old orange grove ladder that I've had for 13 years now.  I love changing out the quilt on it from season to season.  During the summer months you might remember I had the red and white penny square quilt here.  Now I've replaced that with one that has a more warmer and more subdued color palette.  


I absolutely love this little corner and am really happy with how it turned out.


As you can see, I'm not one who loves the all neutral fall style.  I still love the warmth and coziness of the reds and yellows and orange.

Even though I'll be away from the computer for a few days, I have a post scheduled for later in the week, on Thursday, so check back for that.  If you follow me over on Facebook then you know I've been hinting at a sewing project I've been working on.  I'll finally be sharing what that was all about.  




Sharing over at:

5 comments:

  1. All of the cool kids have an IG account. 😁
    You could post to both FB and IG since not everyone has both. BOOM! Problem solved! Heh, heh.

    P. S. Your vignette is darling! (and should be shared with the IG community.😄)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I figured I knew who was 'encouraging' her to get IG! :)

      Go for it, Steph! She ^ got me into it too and now that I've learned a little how it works, I like it. I was expecting it to be more like FB but it's not. It is good to have another means to promote your blog.

      And p. s., I like your fall decor, too. IG would like it also. ;)

      Delete
  2. As you know, I am old and not very computerized. I love to see your posts right here on the blog :^)
    Especially when they are lovely as this one!! Your "corner" just looks so welcoming and cozy.
    Have a good week!
    Blessings,
    J

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't joined instagram yet and don't really check facebook either. I guess I'm a bit old fashioned and really enjoy blog posts, especially those who share everyday things like you do (some blogs post very often, but you can tell it's really a business for them and not so personal and fun to follow along). I do enjoy your decor posts. You do such a great job using what you have, thrifty finds and cool old things and somehow bring it all together in your own way and it always looks great. I'm afraid I never got around to Fall decor--I'll be lucky to pull off something for Christmas. People like you almost convince me to pull something together quick til Thanksgiving--especially when you use non-Holiday items and stuff you already have to create something great. I love your crate-turned-end table and the chicken wire basket with acorns and candle. Nice little vignette--you always do such a great job. Thanks for all the fun pictures. My life is still so chaotic and I live vicariously thru people like you in the meantime. :) Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  4. It’s an amazing blog post, and it is really helpful as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...